Sunday, March 12, 2017

I've Finally Stopped Buying

The trip was planned this time last year and since then I seem to have been buying for it practically constantly.  

The weather in Iceland can be very unpredictable (not surprising given its location and that we will largely be working on or near the coast) with temperatures ranging from 5 degrees to -10c or below, especially at night.  Alternatively it could be mild and wet.

If there's the slightest hint of the Aurora borealis then we'll be out all night trying to photograph that too and I know from Finland just how cold it can be at night even when its quite mild during the day.

First I bought some very nice furry snow boots on recommendation last Summer, then last month full length boots were recommended so I bought some very nice but expensive Muckboots too.  A new coat (luckily in the sales), thermal trousers, salopettes, gloves, balaclava and then last week another two thermal t-shirts and two jumpers and a thermal waistcoat - but I'm not taking the labels off them yet and if I don't wear them they're going back!

Two different pairs of snow grips to aid walking on frozen ice etc, Hottie handwarmers, a new waterproof cover for the camera, a new camera back-pack and so the list goes on.  I think I'll have to go somewhere else cold just to make buying all this worthwhile.

Cramming everything into the suitcase has been a bit of a challenge and I think I'll have to be a bit careful getting my hand luggage onboard as that's surely overweight with all the camera equipment.