Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Jokulsarlon

The hotel is about 15 mins drive from Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon and is the only hotel in the area.  But it’s very nice and after a lazy start we had a delicious breakfast and headed to the lagoon.

I didn’t quite know what to expect but it was beautiful (the photos are straight out of camera so may look a little blue) but as usual this little laptop isn’t up to the job.  The weather was perfect and my layers of clothing kept me lovely and warm.  The dirty, black ice is covered in volcanic ash from the eruptions in 2010 but although I didn't like it at first, I soon got to quite like the stripey effect.









We then headed down to Diamond Beach which is volcanic (black) sand littered with wonderful chunks of turquoise and clear ice and unfortunately lots of annoying tourists (but at least they give it scale).










This particular ice cube reminded me of a snail, then all of a sudden it collapsed in two making an almighty crash.  Luckily no one was standing under it as they would have probably been killed.


A few more random shots (I rather loved the beautiful gems!)